Thursday, January 21, 2010

Potato Expo 2010



Wandering and wondering through the Pond Student Union often bears fruits, or, in this case, vegetables, namely Idaho’s most famous, the potato.

A habit I’ve grown into the last 10-plus years working at ISU is to poke my nose around in the Pond Student Union. Every January the annual Idaho Potato Conference, which runs in conjunction with the Eastern Idaho Ag Expo held in Holt Arena, is something worth checking. If you missed it this year, try next. It runs through noon Jan. 21.

It is everything potato. I picked up a free miniature chocolate baked potato as a gift to my departing boss. I tested a foam, life-sized Russet potato stress squeezer thing. Organizers were giving out free samples of tater tots, smiling deep-fried mashed potatoes and French fries. I sampled the smiling deep fried mashed potatoes and they were excellent. My buddy gave me a free copy of “Spudman” magazine and I now have a bumper sticker on my car that says “Proud to be a Spudman.” Exhibitors on hand were showing off dozens of variety of potatoes. This is a Mecca of sorts for an Idahoan, where potatoes and the products that help grow them are exhibited in splendid wonderment. I’ve rarely felt as close to my potato heritage.



This is one more example of how Idaho State University is a center for this community, the region and the state. The Unions attract an incredible variety of events and people. Annette Lattin, event service coordinator for ISU scheduling and events services, says that her office handles 5,000-plus reservations per year in the Student Union facilities. A single event may require more than one reservation for different rooms, etc., but that is still an impressive number – on average, about 14 different reservation per day during a year. The Student Unions host everything from the Women’s Holiday Fair and a quilt show, to a giant gun show and high school debate tournaments.

I recommend poking your nose into some of these events to see what’s going on. The rewards can be many, from hearing an amazing speaker during the Frank Church Symposium, to eating a juicy tater tot dripping with ketchup.








Written By Andy Taylor

1 comment: